During this time of social distancing, a lot of us have turned to the television even more than normal in order to stay entertained. There is nothing wrong with this, but with this and the addition of less access to gyms, it can be a recipe for inactivity. Below are some tips and ideas to help with staying active while watching TV:
- Take advantage of commercial breaks. Pick a different exercise to perform each commercial break like pushups, squats, or sit-ups to get up and do. If you’re watching with someone else, you can make it a competition and see who can hold a plank for the longest time!
- If you’re watching March Madness, do 10 pushups for every free throw shot made. You can come up with rules for any sport that you’re watching, like running up and down your stairs every time the ball changes possession in football.
- Stretch during the last ten minutes of a show.
- If you’re watching a show through a streaming service with no commercials, staying active can be tough. Take a break between each episode and do 5 minutes of bodyweight exercises. Some exercises you could do are squats, lunges, pushups, tricep dips, sit-ups, or planks.
- Pick one show where you can only watch it while you’re working out. For example, if you like watching Friends, make it a rule that the only time you can watch it is when you’re on the treadmill or doing an at-home workout.
- Try hula hooping or sitting on a stability ball. Both of these are not tiring activities but can be done while watching TV as a way to keep your muscles engaged.